Adobe Fresco supports most Photoshop brushes in .abr format. Since Fresco's brush engine is not yet fully featured, some caution should be used, especially when using AirDrop to install large brush sets.
AirDrop from a Mac Desktop
- From your Mac, open the download page in your browser (you’ll find a link in the order email).
- Click the Download button to begin downloading.
- From your desktop or downloads folder, double click the zip file to extract its contents.
- Open the extracted folder and locate the Photoshop brush file in .abr format (usually saved in the 'Install this file' folder).
- Right click > Share > AirDrop.
- When prompted, choose Photoshop from the 'Open with...' list to install.
Known brush import issues when using AirDrop or iCloud:
- Imported brushes load in alphabetical order, not the order we have embedded in the brush set. Any brush groups, or organization you may be used to from using your brushes in Photoshop will not be included when installed in Fresco.
- Embedded textures (eg in Beat Tones halftone brushes) cannot be scaled.
- Brushes with embedded color (eg KraftTone) are incompatible with Fresco.
- Brushes cannot be deleted or rearranged once imported into Fresco. If you import too many brushes and Fresco crashes, you'll have to delete the app and start again :-(
- Installing too many brush sets can overload Fresco (even Adobe's free sets can crash the app).
- It's a good idea to start by installing just one brush set to begin or use Method 2 below.
Install via Photoshop Libraries panel (Desktop).
- Install your brushes into Photoshop Desktop (CC2018 or higher only).
- In Photoshop, drag and drop a selection of the brushes you use most often from your brushes panel to your Creative Cloud Libraries panel (Window > Libraries). You can only drag and drop one brush at a time.
- Start with only 10 or so brushes to begin until you are certain that Fresco can handle more brushes. Add more brushes as you see fit.
- Create a new Libraries Group for them and give it a name eg My True Grit Brushes.
- You can arrange the brushes into whatever order you like by dragging and dropping them.
- When you open Fresco, the brushes should automatically appear at the bottom of the Pixel brush list. Depending on your wifi speed, it may take a few minutes for them to load. Any changes you make (ie reordering brushes) may also take a few minutes to sync.