Yes. Adobe Fresco does support Photoshop brushes, however the brush engine is not yet fully featured. Installing Photoshop brushes in Fresco should be approached with caution. Above all else, do not use AirDrop or iCloud to load brushes into Fresco.
Known brush import issues when using AirDrop or iCloud:
- Imported brushes load out of order.
- Importing any large brush set (ie all of our brush sets are on the large side) will irreversibly crash Fresco including the brushes that come built into the app.
- Brushes cannot be deleted or rearranged once imported into Fresco (crazy right?). If you import too many brushes and Fresco crashes, you'll have to delete the app and start again :-(
Is there a safe way to import Photoshop Brushes to Fresco?
Yes, via the Libraries panel in the desktop version of Photoshop. Here's how to import and manage Photoshop brushes in Fresco without crashing it.
- Install your brushes into Photoshop (CC2018 or higher only).
- In Photoshop, drag and drop a selection of the brushes you use most often from your brushes panel to your Creative Cloud Libraries panel (Window > Libraries). You can only drag and drop one brush at a time.
- Start with only 10 or so brushes to begin. Do not under any circumstances try to import an entire TGTS brush set to Fresco.
- Create a new Libraries Group for them and give it a name eg My True Grit Brushes.
- You can arrange the brushes into whatever order you like by dragging and dropping them.
- When you open Fresco, the brushes should automatically appear at the bottom of the Pixel brush list. Depending on your wifi speed, it may take a few minutes for them to load. Any changes you make (ie reordering brushes) may also take a few minutes to sync.
Despite the obvious drawbacks with importing custom brushes, Fresco is a really great app, especially if you're a longtime Photoshop user looking for a powerful drawing app for iPad without needing to learn an entirely new workflow (eg Procreate).
We met with the Adobe Fresco team at Adobe Max in November 2019 and they are aware of issues with the brush import functionality. Adobe has advised they are working hard to update the app with fixes to the brush interface very soon so fingers crossed for that.